If you’re a business with 20 or more employees you will need to start reporting payroll information to the ATO, through Single Touch Payroll (STP), from the 1st of July 2018. ClockOn, a STP enabled payroll solution, has 3 STP submission types to ensure that your business reports on the correct information to the ATO.
- Payroll Submission – Used to submit your payroll data once a payroll has been completed in ClockOn. Also used for Payroll adjustments
- Payroll Replacement – Used to replace a submission that had an error when being submitted to the ATO.
- Employee Update – Used to update your employee information, typically when changes are made outside of payroll.
The following instructions will guide you through how to perform a Manual Employee Update from ClockOn, via the STP Wizard. Running the latest build of ClockOn give you access to the STP wizard, allowing you to generate the files required in order to manually submit your payroll data to the ATO using the gateway provider of your choice.
The employee updated option is used for submitting employee information when changes have been made outside of the normal payroll process, such as manual YTD changes. This option is generally reserved for when finalising the end of financial year reporting for PAYG summaries. Ticking the Final Payroll Indicator option notifies the ATO that this is the final payroll processed for the selected financial year.
Manual Employee Update.
If you are not signed up with ClockOn’s managed STP program you can still report to the ATO through Single Touch Payroll. The ClockOn software will help you to export the files you require provide an employee update and you can manually upload and monitor this submission with the gateway provider of your choice.
Running an employee update through the Single Touch Payroll Wizard.
- To open the Single Touch Payroll Wizard. Go to the Payroll tab and then click on the STP Wizard icon.
- Select the submission type ‘Employee Update’.
- Select the correct ABN for the location that the employee/s work at.
- Select the current financial year. Previous years can be reported but the ATO will only allow older ones for a period of time.
- The final payroll indicator should only be required if the employees selected have no more payrolls to be processed for the selected financial year. Press Next to continue.
- Select any/or all employees that you wish to submit for updating but setting the ‘Include’ checkbox.
- Once selected then press the Next button.
- Press the Submit button, ClockOn will then create the files required to lodge with your STP Gateway Provider.
- You will be prompted that you are about to perform a manual payroll submission. Click on Yes to continue
- There will be another pop up asking you to confirm validation. Click on Yes to continue
- The final screen will advise you that the submission is complete. In this case, as a manual submission, your data has not been submitted to the ATO, rather the files have been generated ready to be uploaded.
- Navigate to the above file location to access the files for each location. This will be in the STP folder of your ClockOn installations directory, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockOn\STP. In this folder, the files will be saved under the Location\date\Update. you will need to work with your gateway provider on how they require these files.
- Back in ClockOn, press Finish to complete the wizard.