Businesses with 19 or fewer employees will have to report under STP rules from 1 July 2019. Businesses with 20 or more employees began reporting from 1 July 2018.
NOTE: Exemptions to STP reporting may be available to businesses that have no internet or have an unreliable connection. Please see the ATO about this.
- Payroll Submission – This option is used the majority of the time for sending data to the ATO once a payroll has been finalised. Select the payroll to submit and all employees associated with that payroll, that have a valid payslip, will have their YTD values transmitted to the ATO. Also used for Payroll adjustments
- Payroll Replacement – This option is only to be used if there is an issue or error with the data contained in a previously sent payroll submission. It allows the users to select the payroll affected and resubmit the data once it has been corrected.
- Employee Update – This option is used to transfer the latest employee YTD values to the ATO when there are changes made outside of payroll. Minor changes or corrections to be payroll do not have to be sent via this option, they can be sent using the normal payroll submission when the next payroll is completed. This option allows users to update the employee data outside of payroll in preparation of EOFY.
Of the 3 STP submission types, Payroll submission is the most commonly used. It is used for all payroll submissions once your payroll has been processed and finalised. This means that once you have processed your payroll in ClockOn, as normal, generated the payslips and uploaded the electronic fund’s transfer (EFT) file to your bank you will need to submit the payroll via STP.
NOTE: For payroll adjustments, you can adjust these at any time and then on your next pay periods payroll submission they will be updated and sent to the ATO. There is not a need to run a payroll replacement unless there is an issue with the STP submission itself.
Using the Single Touch Payroll Wizard.
When running the STP wizard it will ensure that your company and employee records are valid for STP submission. If there is an issue with the data additional Data Validation may be required.
- Validate, process and finalise your payroll as normal in ClockOn. Remember to print out your reports and export your EFT file (*.aba)
- Open the STP Wizard. This can be done at the end your payroll, before clicking on Finish or by going to the Payroll menu and click on the STP Wizard icon.
- Select the submission type ‘Payroll Submission’.
- Select the payroll that was just processed and press Next. (Note: The STP dropdown will only show payrolls with a payroll payment date in the last 30 days)
- Press the Submit button, ClockOn will then send the data to our gateway provider to then send to the ATO. Logging information will be displayed, if there are errors or warnings, then please call ClockOn support, otherwise, it should complete successfully.
- There will be a pop up asking you to confirm. Click on Yes.
- The final screen will advise you that the payroll submission has been transferred through ClockOn’s gateway provider. Press Finish to complete the wizard.
- The data has now been sent to the ATO.
You will need run the STP Wizards close to the “pay event” as possible. Confirmation from the ATO of a successful submission may take up to 3 days to be received. Using the ClockOn Message centre you will be able to Monitor the Single Touch Payroll Messages