Employees are assigned to departments in accordance with their place of work, roles and responsibilities. For each assigned department, an employee may be deemed a worker, an Administrator or both:
Accessing the Employees Departments
- Navigate to Setup > Employee Details or select the people icon from the top of the main screen.
- Select the employee from the Employee drop down menu
- Click on the Departments tab
- Works At: When checked, this field indicates the employee works at and is included in any lists or reports relating to that department.
- Admin: When checked, this field indicates the employee is an Administrator of that department, and can view other employees who work at that department on the roster, employee and other related screens.
- Default: When checked, this field indicates the default department for the displayed employee.
Note: At a summary level, total payroll costs are assigned to the employee default department/location. At a detailed level, costs are assigned to the locations/departments recorded against each time sheet. For more detail see the section ‘Department Costs’.
Assigning an Employee
Each employee must be assigned a default department. Doing so ensures that all costs are accounted for, even in the absence of other specific data at payroll or time sheet approval.
- Press Select (or double-click directly anywhere in the Department listing) to open the Employee Departments screen.
- The following selection screen is displayed:
- Select the departments the employee works at. You can also choose whether they are an Administrator of that department. This allows the employee to view other employees who work at that department on the roster, employee and other related screens.
- You can enter percentages in the cost split columns if you want to split an employee's costs at payroll. For more detail see the section ‘Department Costs’.