When you need to pre-determine how a department's costs are allocated, irrespective of where an employee works, you can set up a cost split to various departments. This might be necessary where a template is needed for costing rather than using the employee's actual paid hours.
Setting up Cost Splits
If you want to split an employee's costs across a number of departments set up the proportions in the employee's departments tab.
- Navigate to Setup > Employee details
- Select the employee from the Employee drop-down
- Click on the Departments tab
Click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- You can then key in the percentage to apportion costs to departments for this employee. Click in the column labelled Cost Split %, inline with a department that the employee Works At, and enter the percent.
- Once set up click on Save
NOTE: The total of the percentages you enter across the departments must add up to 100% or you won’t be permitted to save.
- You will now see the cost split percentages in the employee's department tab.