If you’re a business with 20 or more employees you will need to start reporting payroll information to the ATO, through Single Touch Payroll (STP), from the 1st of July 2018. ClockOn, a STP enabled payroll solution, has 3 STP submission types to ensure that your business reports on the correct information to the ATO.
- Payroll Submission – Used to submit your payroll data once a payroll has been completed in ClockOn. Also used for Payroll adjustments
- Payroll Replacement – Used to replace a submission that had an error when being submitted to the ATO.
- Employee Update – Used to update your employee information, typically when changes are made outside of payroll.
The following instructions will guide you through how to use the STP Wizard for a Manual STP submissions. Running the latest build of ClockOn give you access to the STP wizard, allowing you to generate the files required in order to manually submit your payroll data to the ATO using the gateway provider of your choice.
Of the 3 STP submission types, Payroll submission is the most commonly used. It is used for all payroll submissions once your payroll has been processed and finalised. This means that once you have processed your payroll in ClockOn, as normal, generated the payslips and uploaded the electronic funds transfer (EFT) file to your bank you will need to submit the payroll via STP.
NOTE: For payroll adjustments, you can adjust these at any time and then on your next pay periods payroll submission they will be updated and sent to the ATO. There is not a need to run a payroll replacement unless there is an issue with the STP submission itself.
Using the Single Touch Payroll Wizard
When running the STP wizard it will ensure that your company and employee records are valid for STP submission. If there is an issue with the data additional Data Validation may be required.
- Validate, process and finalise your payroll as normal in ClockOn. Remember to print out your reports and export your EFT file (*.aba)
- Open the STP Wizard. This can be done at the end your payroll, before clicking on Finish or by going to the Payroll menu and click on the STP Wizard icon.
- Select the submission type ‘Payroll Submission’.
- Select the payroll that was just processed and press Next.
- Press the Submit button, ClockOn will then create the files required to lodge with your STP Gateway Provider.
- You will be prompted that you are about to perform a manual payroll submission. Click on Yes to continue
- There will be another pop up asking you to confirm validation. Click on Yes to continue
- The final screen will advise you that the submission is complete. In this case, as a manual submission, your data has not been submitted to the ATO, rather the files have been generated ready to be uploaded.
- Navigate to the above file location to access the files for each location. This will be in the STP folder of your ClockOn installations directory, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockOn\STP. In this folder, the files will be saved under the Location\date\Submit. You will need to work with your gateway provider on how they require these files.
- Back in ClockOn, press Finish completing the wizard.